Sunday, March 28, 2010

Singapore 2010

I'd almost forgotten about this old blog. Had I any computer sense I might try to create an entirely new blog, but since coming to Singapore I am reminded again how inept I am at being young and Chinese (and hence unable to use things with keypads).

So...welcome back to the grand re-opening of my on again, off again disaster-of-a-blog. Mostly here to post some key photos that will go nicely with what would otherwise have been photoless mass emails.

The story so far: I came to Singapore to do some research for
2 months in a somewhat informal exchange. After a disastrous series of looking for a place to live (barriers encountered: 1) a lack of owners wanting to rent for only 2 months, 2) scheming agents who want 1/2 a month's rent in agent fees, 3) rooms in flats where you can't cook or use the common areas, and have a curfew...sadly the list goes on, but let's not start off in such a grumbly manner). The end story is that I found a lovely room in a 2 storey house. Shared with 2 non-existent roommates, 2 dogs, and a lovely maid...oh, and there's a yoga studio on the main floor. Perks. Major, free-yoga-filled perks. Great area with bars, restaurants (which I can't afford), and cheap food. Oh, and not too many shopping malls (phew).


I've already been here 2 weeks. Two humid, sunny, virtually workless weeks. Too avoid being too boring, I'll just tell you that security, safety, and the fear of being sued/fined is at the max here in Singapore and I've had to do lots of safety training and fill out many forms and I'm still not in possession of any type of lab access.

But, this means I've had time to explore. Some general comments about Singapore:

Everyone more or less speaks english (or what the locals affectionately like to call "Singlish"). From what I can gather the government has put on some pretty strong campaigns for "Speaking good english". I'm not convinced it was entirely successful. I often get spoken to in Chinese. I can't pronounce many things properly and still can't order coffee without getting sugar or milk in it.

The national obsessions are eating and shopping. There are literally malls and shopping outlets on every corner, and at least 20 eating places in between each of these malls. And they are busy. All the time. Sometimes there is a line to go up the escalator.

Food is cheap, as long as you eat at food courts or hawker centres. Contrary to Canadian food courts, these are the places you get the best food. (And also the worst food.)

So much to say, but I'll leave it at that for now. Will follow up with posts of daily excursions and food. I forgot to bring our point and shoot, but bought one recently on the cheap and and now taking some lovely shots of this city/country. Been eating all kinds of foods (chinese, indian, malay, japanese, korean, foods of unidentified origin, and so forth) and I promise to post and describe to whet your appetites. I'll leave you today with one of the soupier dishes I've tried and a random smatter of desserts. Despite the 35 degree weather, Asians love their soups. More on this later.

Seafood horfun:
Assortment of desserts (starting at green and moving around in clockwise fashion): Steamed cake with sugar and coconut on top, green tea cheescake, passionfruit, kuih lapis (Malay layer cake), durian pudding, and in the middle ang koo kueh (mung bean paste cake),

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eat and shop....what a wonderful life......I love the house you are staying in.....those desserts....thumbs down for me personally, looks..dis..gus..ting....it's me who's talking, so no offence. Keep posting Kim, have fun......xxoxoxomamamamamamma